Today marks a day that I have been looking forward to for months…The beginning of MLB’s All Star Weekend here in Cincinnati! For those of us that live in the Queen City, this is a big freaking deal. Cincinnati, home of the Reds, is hosting the Home Run Derby on Monday and the All Star Game on Tuesday, and everyone who loves baseball will be here to celebrate this weekend. I am super freaking pumped about it, and plan to show as much Cincy pride as possible!
For those that are visiting from out of town, Cincinnati is unique in that each neighborhood has its own distinct feel and atmosphere (similar to NYC…The Upper West Side is very different from Greenwich Village, etc. etc.), and so it can get confusing for out of towners. One of my favorite Cincinnati Bloggers, Out+Outfit, posted an ASG guide for her neighborhood of Columbia Tusculum, and Baubles to Bubbles also posted her own list of things to do in Cincinnati for All-Star weekend. I thought I would add to that by writing up a short list of a few of my favorite bars in Cincinnati. Click the links to learn more and look for my Yelp reviews (Yelp name Jessi G.).
- Dutch’s (Hyde Park): This is a fantastic neighborhood bar In Hyde Park (my home!) with a cool outdoor patio (with bocce ball!), extensive beer selection, affordable wine bottles, and really amazing sandwiches (they smoke their own meats in house!). Try the truffle popcorn; You will not regret it.
- Rhinegeist Brewery (OTR): My all-time favorite brewery in Cincinnati, Rhinegeist is a local brewery that is pushing out some of the best beer in town. The brewery is in OTR (the trendy, up and coming area of downtown), and it’s just a fun tap room, with corn hole and live music. No food, but feel free to bring food in from nearby Findlay Market (the oldest farmer’s market in the country, btw).
- 16-Bit Bar and Arcade (OTR): 16-Bit just opened like two months ago, and it is quickly becoming the hottest new bar in OTR. They have a great beer list, interesting and unique cocktails (get the Hulk Hogan with a bomb pop in it!), and unlimited FREE arcade games. Yeah, that’s right, Space Invaders for everybody!
- Bakersfield (OTR): Bakersfield is super popular, and for good reason…It was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, it has amazing tacos, and the best margaritas in town. Expect a wait for a table, but if you can squeeze up at the bar this place is definitely worth trying.
- Neon’s Unplugged (OTR): My favorite neighborhood bar in OTR, this place is basically just a huge outdoor patio, with great cocktails, giant Jenga, and a fun bar atmosphere. If you’re a hipster 20-something, you should head here.
- Moerlein Lager House (The Banks): If you’re lucky enough to get tickets to any of the All Star Game events, then you will be meeting up on The Banks, the area right outside of the Great American Ball Park. Moerlein is another local brewery, and at the Lager House they also serve food! Their outdoor patio is awesome, and their burgers are great.
Cheers, and enjoy Cincinnati!